Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Random funny things my kids say - Part 14

The kids have found my blog! And they have been reading the random funny stuff and I am going to have to clean up the rest pronto. But the girls are loving reading the old stories and funny things that they have done in the past. When I see how much of a kick they are getting over reading these stories and ragging on each other for their past actions, I'm glad I have done this. Now they are really hamming it up and even demanding I write about some of their past exploits. But I won't tell the funny stories they want me to tell. No, I'll tell the ones that I think are funny. Like this past Sunday.

We were at church and I reminded the older two that they needed to pay attention to the sermon. The Youngest is pretty good at church as long as she has paper and pen to draw on. The older two tend to have a hard time sitting still in church most times but they did pretty well this time and I applauded their effort and asked them about the sermon.

"So do you remember what the sermon was about today?" I asked.

"Uh, uh..." Oldest looked completely blank.

"It was about two sons!" Angus piped up all excited and happy.

"Good and what about the two sons?" I asked.

"Uh, uh..." Oldest is still lost.

"They was supposed to work in the fields," Angus said.

"Good, and then what happened," I asked.

Complete quiet as we walked in the parking lot to the car.

"Come on, who was listening, the father asked his sons to go work in the field and what happened?"

No answer from anyone, we are almost at the car.

"One son said No but repented and went to work while the other said Yes but never went to work," I continued. "And then what happened."

"God punished them!" Angus said.

"No, that is not the point of the sermon," I said. "What is the point? Anyone?"

They are still quiet and so I try to remind them of the finer points of the sermon as we get into the car.

"So if the youngest son said Yes father, but then never followed through, then he didn't do the will of his father even though he said he would. So what is the moral of the story?" I asked one last time.

"Shut up and just do it!" Youngest shouted. The other two shrieked in laughter and I am just staring at the little one as if she had sprouted two heads. She smiled and then said. "That's what the priest should have said! Then everyone woud have known what he was talking about."

17 comments:

JaneyV said...

Just shut up and do it! Hahahhhaaaahhhahaha!

Youngest clearly has an in-built ability to cut through BS. Very useful to be able to do that whilst drawing.

moonrat said...

yeah, no kidding! she was the one who WASNT supposed to be paying attention!

it seems she's good at pithy, memorable slogans. perhaps steer her toward politics? (just kidding.)

Carrie Harris said...

I think children should write sermons. Seriously. :)

Precie said...

LMAO!

Jacqui said...

Oh that is hilarious.

Charles Gramlich said...

She has a point. And is apparently a quick witted wild creature.

Lana Gramlich said...

I hardly blame them for not really "getting it." The mental gymnastics involved in understanding biblical hypocricies should be more than any rational person can stand.

The Anti-Wife said...

I can't wait till they're teenagers. You are going to have your hands full!

Larramie said...

Youngest was obviously taking notes!

Melissa Amateis said...

I like her mentality! Funny as always, Ell. :-)

Carleen Brice said...

Hope this doesn't mean the girls stop telling you funny things!!

Maki said...

LOL! Good lord, your little one is sooo precious :D

I agree, we all just shut up and do it!

Anonymous said...

Did Lana just dis Christians as non-thinking? Note: There are liberal, intellectual Christians!

And I am proud that Youngest might fall within our ranks! ;)


(Sorry, I don't mean to be contentious.)


(Well, yes I do.)

Mom In Scrubs said...

Concise and direct. Love her!

Though I hope she also inherits your ability to tell a great story; a concise and direct great story!

Steve Malley said...

You make the idea of children seem entertaining.

A... novel idea.

Aine said...

Remind me to never let my youngest meet yours-- they would take over the world.
:O

(I echo the novel idea, btw...)

Sarah Hina said...

Amen. :)