Friday, May 2, 2008

Friday Overlooked Book Club Edition 2


Here comes another edition of Patti Abbott's Friday Overlooked Book Club. This time I have to thank my buddy, the incredibly talented writer Sarah Hina who reminded me of one of my favorite books, Silk by Alessandro Barrico. Technically it isn't a novel but a novella. And yet it is so rich and satisfying, you will not be disappointed in its lack of pages. It is a love story unlike any that you have ever read.

From the inside book flap, you get this excellent description: In 1861 French silkworm merchant Hervé Joncour is compelled to travel to Japan, where, in the court of an enigmatic nobleman, he meets a woman. They do not touch; they do not even speak. And he cannot read the note she sends him until he has returned to his country. But in the moment he does, Joncour is possessed.

I feel I cannot say more without giving away too much of the storyline, but I can assure you, this book will captivate you with its simplicity and elegance. And at 144 pages, it will not take long to read. Let Barrico transport you to nineteeth century France and Japan and envelope you in the feel of Silk.

11 comments:

Sarah Hina said...

Oh, wow, Ello!

I'm so glad you picked this one...it's just achingly lovely and brilliant. Not a false note in the book, and the prose is as delicate and strong as silk itself. I haven't watched the movie yet, because I don't want someone else's vision to disrupt my impression (plus, it scores pretty badly on Rotten Tomatoes ;) ).

I'm honored for the mention! This is such a great idea. :)

Aine said...

That sounds like a delicious read! I'm putting that on my list right now!

Tyhitia Green said...

Wow, this kind of book is not usually my bag, but I'll have to read it! :*)

pattinase (abbott) said...

Got it it up and thanks!

Melissa Amateis said...

Oooh! This looks great!

Lisa said...

This sounds good, but what caught my attention was the length. This is the second book recommendation I've read about today that weighs in at under 150 pages (Charles Gramlich has one at his place too). I think I read recently that shorter books are becoming more popular. I'm thinkin' there's something to it...

Patti said...

122 pages?! my kind of book!

Mom In Scrubs said...

Skimmed your blog and I really like it! If you don't mind I'll put you in my blogroll!

Came over from OxyJen.

Charles Gramlich said...

I've actually heard some other good things about this book.

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

Yes, a nice short but wonderful book well worth reading for all. and Mom in scrubs - so happy to see you here! Welcome!

Josephine Damian said...

Ello: Sorry I missed the Friday thing. SILK is on my "To be read again" pile - you know a book is great when you're willing to read it more than once.